I am updating my documents to fix as many spelling and grammar problems as I can locate. The originals were sometimes developed under quick schedules and do not represent my best writing. For instance, I found several papers where i.e. was used instead of e.g. I will be uploading my repaired documents in batches of several documents at once. This will take time because I am currently filling a vacancy and hardly feel retired.
I have recently noticed that some grammar and punctuation items, such as the use of commas, often have vague or conflicting rules depending on the grammar checker used. For instance, when I was a child, I was told to use a comma after “and” when I separate to complete clauses even when the clauses are directions without an explicitly stated subject noun. “Click on the number one, and go to the first page.” Some grammar checkers have given sentences like this an error and told me to remove the comma. Since this type of error is most often found in the professors’ directions to me, I am generally leaving the sentences the way the professors wrote them.
Another problem that I am having is missing documents. Some of my pdfs are lacking their original documents which is making editing quite difficult. I have decided not to fix those documents until I have time to go through my external hard drives and locate the originals. I have no idea why some originals are not on my computer, but for some reason they did not transfer when I bought a new computer.
I am not fixing most of the American Psychological Association (APA) style mistakes. My papers were written in a highly modified APA style to meet the university’s requirements. Professors often wanted me to change aspects of my papers instead of closely following APA guidelines. This took me more than a little time to adjust! My two master’s degrees are from United States university departments that required strict adherence to APA style. I had to learn to be flexible even when my brain disagreed.
I sincerely apologize to everyone who is using screen readers and other assistive technologies! I have not yet checked my papers for accessibility considerations. I could not figure out how to fix my headings so that they read appropriately in screen readers. For instance, some of my papers have a title page and three levels of headings. I could not find level three in my word processor’s headings sections. I also completely disliked how applying headings levels one and two changed my text font and size. The images in my papers are often are so detailed that I honestly have not yet tried to come up with meaningful alternate text. I have not yet found the time to add closed captions to my videos. I firmly believe that everyone deserves equal access and will work on this more sometime in the future. I am very sorry that my site and related materials are not fully accessible for all of my readers!
I am also slowly updating the pages and posts. I did switch to a more accessible layout that WordPress claims is better for mobile devises and assistive technology, but additional work (including fixing some aforementioned mistakes) needs to be done. This is a project in progress. I am not even going to estimate when everything will be completed, but I am working on this website and its related contents as time allows.